Feeling positive...

Day 3

Felt somewhat pleased with myself on the evening of Day 1 despite possibly the worst environment for the start of this journey… A dinner party with lovely 'drinking' friends at our friends house easily within walking distance. Upon arrival I turned down a glass of cava, and no kidding pretty much got grilled by all 5 of the other guests!! Just said I had a busy day, and didn't want to be waking up at 3am which is what always happens when I drink these days. I did get offered wine at several other occasions, but abstained. My hubby was really pleased, especially as I decided it was time to go at 11.30pm and he was knackered!

It was my eldest's birthday this morning, and I didn't have a hangover when they all bowled in at 6.20am - this has not been the case for a few years! I would have normally seen the night before wrapping presents as an excuse to drink wine in celebration of the birthday tomorrow?! 

Feeling confident at the moment, but under no illusion that things will change as the memory of Friday night when I last drank fads, and the voices in my head try to persuade me that I don't have a problem! By writing this blog I hope that I have a bank of positives to refer back to when feeling like this and a few accounts of what happens when I drink. 

I have been doing a course on Udemy, by Veronica Vail called How to get sober, as after all my years of failed attempts I thought I could do with all the help I can get! Veronica has much useful information, but one comment she made was that drinkers often lie to themselves about the true level of their drinking by comparing themselves to other people that drink more. I have certainly done this, but when I thought about this I can really now only think of one other person that I honestly think drinks more than me. I also think that I am probably now the heavy drinking person that everyone else compares themselves to! A scary and depressing thought, but I will not be anymore!!

Veronica also talks about 'fear', and it being the reason many of us drink. Despite the examples given I really don't think that 'fear' plays a part in my reasons for drinking. I had the most amazing childhood, and don't recall being particularly fearful of anything really.  I would really like to understand the reasons why I have fallen into the 'drinking' trap,  maybe there will be something that comes to light as my head gets clearer…

Comments

Popular Posts